Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Friday, September 02, 2005

She's reincarnated, he's reincarnated, wouldn't you like to be reincarnated too?

Okay, disclaimer first. Yes, I am a Christian. No, I don't personally believe in the existence of ghosts, werewolves, vampires, aliens, and demons who can be controlled and used for good. I will, however, read about all of these if it's a good story and I hope everyone's okay with that.

On to the book I just finished. Susan Krinard's Body and Soul. Bait and Switch!!

I thought I was getting a ghost comes forward through time book. If they are done well, I love them. Lynn Kurland's Stardust of Yesterday is my favorite. If the spirit of a gorgeous, noble medieval knight came to me in the moonlight with love in his eyes and asked me, "Shall I slay dragons for you, my lady?" I would resign myself to a hubby who could only occasionally touch me. Even if it meant no Tea and Crumpets. Of course, a miracle occurs, and said knight joins his lady in the real, solid, crumpet-eatin' world. I would insert a nasty remark about JD's Knight in Shining Armor, but I'll refrain.

Anyway, SK's hero is a British soldier from the 1800's, who has died but is tormented because he didn't love or take very good care of his wife, who died along with their baby. He is literally called to our heroine, who is plagued by her own childhood demons. She doubts her sanity, especially because she has memories of ghost soldier. She is also being menaced by a villain that ghost boy starts to recognize. Good book, good writing, but I chucked it. Why?

It's time for the next installment of Saw That One Coming, Much?

Yep, you guessed it, our heroine is the reincarnation of ghost boy's dead wife. And lo and behold, the bad guy who is chasing her turns out to be the reincarnation of the bad guy in the 1800's who killed the original wife. Ghost lover can redeem himself by saving her this time because he couldn't last time. Somebody, let me off the karma-go-round, please!

I hate and loathe and revile reincarnation stories. Of course she's lived before as a noblewoman. Have you ever heard of one single instance where a person's former existence was anything less than noble? If a strong, handsome man chased me through history to reveal a past life, it would probably read like this:

"Robyn! I found you! I came through the mists of time, but could see your spirit even in this different body. You must come back with me. You must, because...

"You didn't finish emptying the chamber pots before you keeled over. You were my favorite maid. But it's okay. Now that I've reincarnated into a rich handsome tycoon, I have plenty of back-breaking menial chores for you to do."

ARRRGGGHHHH!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...""You didn't finish emptying the chamber pots before you keeled over. You were my favorite maid."...

***snort***

8:54 PM  
Blogger Camy Tang said...

ROTFL!!! Robyn, remind me to take away your snark hat before you review one of MY books, assuming I ever get published.

Camy

11:45 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

Robyn,
It wouldn't be a handsome man chasing us through time, it would be the kids we had 400 years before saying, "Mooooooom! You left before you settled the argument between me and Brunhilda! Who gets to play with the rock? And when you weren't looking, she touched me and took away my favorite stick!"

And Camy, we wouldn't snark you...okay, maybe a little...no, no, I am just kidding. Can't wait to read your stuff!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Camy, you forget I have read some of your stuff. You don't give me enough snark-worthy material. Next time I'm gonna give you guys a rave- I'm reading a great one!

Missie, I have enough nightmares about my present kids. Now I have to worry about toy arbitration and puke cleaning through the centuries. Did they have to force medieval kids to eat their veggies, I wonder?

8:32 AM  
Blogger Missie said...

What did they use as guilt back then?"There are kids in (insert poor geographical location) who wish they had broccoli to eat!"

Didn't all living conditions back then pretty much suck compared to now?

(oh, and side note to robyn, I will be home all day if you feel like talking. leaving for camping tonight and will be gone until Monday night, so my snark-encrusted review of a Jayne Ann Krentz will have to wait until next week.)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

~still laughing~
I love this blog.
Warn you two, I mentioned you on mine.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Camy has a point... I'm a skeered to have y'all read my book when it comes out... if it comes out. LOL

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha Camy sure does have a point..I loved this review. rotfl. Laugh out loud funny here. Yes. Remind me not to write a book about kharma. haha. ack..child crawling into the cabinet in the computer desk! ACK!

Jolene

PS: I love the bottom here..I just realized it says "Choose an identity." rotfl..insert "model that women envy and men drool over." Or not. ::sighs:

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home