Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Cancer, Contests, and Cute Guy Friday

A reminder about our contest...you don't want to miss out.

Speaking of contests, I'm not gonna finish NaNoWriMo. Trying to get from 30,000 to 50,000 words in a few days ain't happening. Hey, I have a life, okay? And who decided to do this in November? Hello, holiday season, much? Kids home from school fall on daylight computer time like ravening wolves on a girl in a red cape. But it hasn't been a bad experience, really. I got more done in a shorter amount of time than I ever have before. And I like my story, like my characters, like where it's going. It's just that if I rush through to meet the deadline and get my certificate, it'll turn into crap.

The best part of Thanksgiving this year- I got to see my mom and pet her fuzzy head. She's recently finished her course of chemo and radiation for lung cancer. She's so strong, but she wanted the option of not being strong. I totally understood. You actually can be stoic and scared at the same time.

The tumor is gone, but the effects linger. She's on a steroid that makes her cheeks puffy, and has to wear wigs. She's got a beautiful red one (she's normally blond) that gave her an interesting anecdote. She tried to write a check for something and the clerk wouldn't accept it.

Clerk: (looking at an ID of a thin blond woman) I can't accept this check.

Mom: (a somewhat fluffier redhead) Why not? It's good, I promise!

Clerk: This doesn't look like you. This is a fake ID.

She went a few rounds with this eagle-eyed cashier and finally told her she'd been on chemo and wiggled her wig. The poor clerk practically melted. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Oh, I'm so sorry!!" She even carried my mom's bags out to her car.

I said "Mom, you should have started crying. She'd have given you the stuff for free."

Don't know if it will be a regular feature, but I felt like it today so here it is:
Sometimes You Just Have to Stop and Thank God for Making Something That Pretty.





Adrian Paul from Highlander, in case you didn't know. Enjoy your weekend!

10 Comments:

Blogger Missie said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow,
Praise him for sending cuties like Adrian to us below....
He even looks good in a kilt,
If he smiled at me, I'd prob'ly willlllllt.

Kay. There's my song for the day.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

Oh, and glad you got to see your mommy and pet her fuzzylittlechicky head. Sometimes nothing is better than mommyluvin.

That is too funny about the clerk. She probably felt like the worst person ever to do that to your mom, but it makes me glad there are actually clerks that check IDs in your state. There are none in mine. ;) You should put that in one of your stories.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Adrian...hunka, hunka, burnin' luuuuve...

5:09 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

PS.
Your mother showed real grace. She demonstrated that she did not even think of her condition as her prime identifying characteristic.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Missie said...

Bernita,

You have a way with words. I want to be like you when I grow up.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

That's a dear girl, Missie...
Waidaminit... You WHAT?
Oh, you poor child!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missie--LOL on the song!

Robyn--hugs to your mom, but the wig story is a cute one. I'll bet it made her laugh, in the scheme of things.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Thanks, Bernita. My mommy is awesome and I'm not afraid to say it!

Michelle- She caught sight of herself in a mirror one night and said, "Bald head. Dark circles under the eyes. Puffy cheeks. If I had a light bulb, I'd be Uncle Fester." My dad groaned and said, "I really wish you hadn't said that..."

Missie and I know your pain, T. Incredible beauty is such a burden! Now if I could just get Adrian to quit calling me...

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! :)

Hope your mom's health improves soon. And that she doesn't clobber clueless sales clerks!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

Terry,
That's who Adrian reminds me of...You! I just couldn't place it. Other than your hairstyle, body type, height, and facial structure, you guys could be twins!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home