Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Pillow Talk

My son was all a-twitter last weekend because Star Wars Episode IVIXXIVVIXX: Thank God It's Over, came out on DVD. They made me see it in the theatre, too, but the whole movie was lost on me. All I could see was that Hayden Christianson's hair was uncombed and it drove me nuts. They could do Padme's hair into mind-bending, gravity-defying tresses, but I guess the bajillion dollar budget didn't include a comb for the star. I felt like a mom on the first day of school. "Here, honey, let me just get that hair out of your eyes. And c'mere, you got a schmutz..."

But thanks to our seventh viewing at home, I got over the hair thing (well, sorta) and I concentrated on the fantastic, insightful dialogue.

Anakin: "You are so...(pause you could drive a truck through. Come on, think of the word, use the force, speakdangitalljustspeak!) beautiful."

Padme: "It must be because I'm so in love."

Anakin: "No, it's because I'm so in love."

GAH. I honestly expected them to start Beavis and Butthead laughter right then- heheheheheheheheh. Oy.

I started to think of the last time I had heard in a movie, or even read in a book for that matter, good romantic dialogue. Yes, I'm a still a sucker for that line from Jerry MacGuire:

"You had me at hello." Took me right back to my first love-at-first-sight experience.

Sometimes it's not the words, it's the execution. Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca:

"Here's looking at you, kid." Oh, the look on his face. If ever a man loved a woman, you just knew in your bones that Rick loved Elsa.

But especially in books, I want to swoon! From Lynn Kurland's Stardust of Yesterday:

(the ghost of an incredibly noble medieval knight has just knelt at the heroine's feet) "Shall I slay dragons for you, my lady?" Oh, good grief, I almost fainted when I read that.

And from a book so forgettable I can't tell you the name (because I can't remember it) but the last line got to me:

(a ship's captain has just proposed to the heroine, explaining that he'll never be rich) "But I can promise you a heart that beats for you and you alone, until it beats no more." SWOON! *thud*

A line penned by my very own beloved, who is a total sci-fi loving, RPG playing geek who makes up for it by writing me a poem or a note every Valentine's Day:

"I wanted to bring you a basket of daisies, to show you what your smile can do."

Yes, I can hear the awwwwwws from here. What about you? What's your favorite pillow talk?

14 Comments:

Blogger quirkychild said...

That's so sweet! A basket of daisies...

My favorite...well, I've always been a sucker for Mr. Darcy's "You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

Not that anyone's used it on me, of course. It's just so pretty.

I saw Ep.III at the theaters and literally squirmed in my seat at those HORRIBLE lines. I was waiting for the "I love you more." "No, I love you more." and so on ad nauseam.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Hahaha, Quirky! By rights it should have ended by them pinching each others' cheeks and going, "Who's my little schnooky-poo?"

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, George Lucas canNOT do dialogue. Though I heard a rumor that someone else wrote dialogue for Han Solo and Leia. My favorite line:
Leia: "I love you."
Han: "I know."

Now that was just so....Han Solo!! Perfect.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

My favorite lines come from my favorite movie, Return to Me. The first is when David Duchovny (I love him. I just want to plant a big sloppy kiss on his cheek!) is talking about his feelings for Grace, his new love, compared to his deceased wife:

"I miss Elizabeth. I'll always miss her...But I..ache for Grace."

Awwwww.The only ache I cause my husband is the constant pain in his butt.

The next is when he follows Grace to Italy and she didn't know he was coming

Grace: You came all the way to Italy. (starts to cry)

David McSweetypants: Yeah, I came all the way to Italy.

I just love that. If you haven't seen the movie, get it. Get it now.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Jo*Marie said...

hehe I cant think of any! But reading yours are fun. haha. :)

~Jo

5:29 PM  
Blogger quirkychild said...

McSweetypants! *dies laughing*

I saw that movie...it was so sweet, but also pretty heavĂ˝ for a romantic comedy. Minnie Driver was very good in it.

Michelle, that line was actually made up by Harrison himself. When Carrie Fisher said "I love you." he was supposed to say something else, but she had messed up her lines all day and was bugging him, so he just said "I know." to make her mad!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Camy Tang said...

Aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww your dh is so sweet! Mine isn't big on words. Heck, he's not big on reading, period. But for my birthday, he went to a used book store and figured out which imprints were Regency romances, and he bought me a stack. Now that was romantic.
Camy

2:20 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Awww, Camy, I can just see him. Sorting through all those horrible covers and reading back blurbs until his eyes are crossed, until he has a stack just for you. That's love, baby!

Missie, I haven't seen that. I'll have to now. "I ache for Grace." Great line.

Too funny about Han Solo and Princess Leia. Reminds of an old Jayne Ann Krentz book, The Pirate, where this resort owner on a caribbean island falls for a historical romance writer. She's leaving because he's never said THE WORDS. He just drives to the plane, and starts unloading her luggage, putting it in his jeep while she's standing there sputtering.

"But you haven't said you loved me!"

"(barely looking at her) I love you. Okay, guys, put that bag in the back..."

Too cute.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Ballpoint Wren said...

One of my favorites is from The 10th Kingdom when Wolf finds Virginia after they've been separated:

Wolf: I picked up your trail a few days ago.

Virginia: But how? We went through a mountain.

Wolf: Virginia, I could follow your scent across time itself.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Say it with me...

Awwww...

6:53 AM  
Blogger upwords said...

Okay, I have to add my awww too. :) First time, here. Much fun.

Mary G.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Way to prioritize, Jessica.

Hi, Mary!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

As much as I like Casablanca (enough to write 100K words of an SF version . . . no, it will never see print), I'm partial to Bogart's pair-offs with Bacall. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? (To Have and Have Not)

My favorite romantic scene comes at the end of Grosse Point Blank. John Cusack proposes as he knocks off the hit men. Oh, yeah.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

Terry,
ROFLOL!!! I can totally picture Jess doing that! "Of course you love me. What's not to love? Now, did you want to tell me something important?"

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home