Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Shout Out to Mah Homegirl, Yo!

About three years ago, on a hot Father's Day afternoon in my inlaws' backyard, I met someone.

It was at a surprise birthday party we were having for my husband and the guests included inlaws, grandparents, and some friends my husband has had for about 20 years. One of these friends who went to church with my husband growing up (and actually dated his sister for awhile in their teens) brought along his wife, whom my hub and I had never met before. She and I ended up sitting across the picnic table from each other and we began to talk. During our conversation, we found out that we had much in common. Both of us homeschooled our kids. Both of us had sons named Zachary. And both of us had an irreverant sense of humor and brains that didn't always engage before our mouths started moving. We laughed. We joked. We ranted. We became friends.

Fast forward two years. My friend and I are sitting in a Mexican restaurant, eating fajitas and solving the problems of the world, when I casually mention that I am late. As in laaaaayyyyytttte. My friend looks up and gives a wicked grin. "Is there something you wanna tell me?" she says. "Well," I reply, "if nothing happens in the next couple days, either I have some weird thing going on, or I am pregnant." Again with the wicked grin. "You sooo are!" She was the first person I had said those words out loud to.

Fast forward a week later. "Have you?" she says. "What?" me pleading ignorance (which ain't hard to do). "Have you taken a test yet?" she demands. Me, not wanting to lie, because I had, and I was, and ohmygoodness, what am I gonna do and why did I do this and holycow, who thought this was a great idea?! "Umm, everything's okay." She, obviously wanting to ask more and thinking I am holding back, "Okay then. Just checking."

Fast forward another week later. "You are, aren't you?" "What?!" "You are so pregnant!" "Ummm...yeah. Just don't tell anyone yet. We want to get through my first doctor's appointment before we tell everybody." Laughter, crying, shaking on my end. "Wooo-hooooo! You can't fool me!! IknewitIknewitIknewit!" "What in the world have I done?" Then she says something just so right..."You've done what you've always wanted. You're going to have another baby."

This friend, this great, sweet, funny, irreverant, ranting, raving, lunatic, smart, smart-alecky, God-fearing, goodmomming, funloving, pretty, smiley, goofy friend of mine, is having a birthday today. Her 32nd. She and I will get together sometime in the next week and do what we always do, eat, drink, and discuss how various and sundry persons annoy us. And when we do, I will be remembering that summer she came into my life, giving me a pretty dang wonderful present. Her friendship.

Happy Birthday, Jess. I love ya. Have some cake.

3 Comments:

Blogger Missie said...

So nice to know our friendship does NOT have the power to move your bowels.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Don't know if I want to wade into this discussion...okay, that sounded wrong...happy birthday anyway, Jess!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

WAAAAAH! Ozz made me cry!

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home