Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Vacation Update: I Fell Down and Broke My Butt

So last week we packed up the kids, the tent, and two igloo coolers and went to Turner Falls. It's a pretty spot in the Wichita mountain range in Oklahoma.



Loud drunken frat boys- no charge!

The falls meander down into several small pools just right for swimming.



But no one tells you about the slimy rocks. Malevolent, evil rocks. Rocks that jump up and slam you down when you step on them.



These, in particular. They lie in wait for an innocent, unsuspecting woman to walk on them, deluding the poor female into thinking she actually has a good foothold, then- BAM! One cracked coccyx later, they cackle maniacally and give each other the stone version of high fives.

Got my daughter too. She now wants a t-shirt that reads, "My Parents Went to Turner Falls and All I Got Was A Fractured Patella."

We did the usual fun camp stuff.



The four man tent that sleeps 3 1/3.



Shoving down s'mores.



Wearing cute dorky camper hats. Yes, the cute dorky camper is me after 1 1/2 hours of sleep, a sore tushy and showering in a tiny semi-public cube. Fire away.

We were also cleaned out by larcenous racoons for whom a tight fitting igloo lid was child's play, and swarmed by Gatorade addicted bees, but overall it was a nice vacation. Even if I can't sit without grimacing. And my best friend laughed at me when I called to get sympathy. "Rocks have algae that makes them slippery? Biology 101!" That's okay. When she calls me for sympathy when she's had no sleep because Ali has gotten up four times during the night, I'll just remind her of her precious biology. "Babies don't sleep through the night? Imagine!"

Yes, everyone had a pretty good time. Except those that were left behind.



They had better bring me back some Snausages. Big ones.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to go camping at Robber's Cave, over to the east. The trip I remember best was 5 vertically challenged women (ok, two moms and 3 teens) trying to put up an 8-man tent with a broken ridgepole, and the annoyance of having to go zip, zip, zip with the door 800 times a night to get to the restroom (which was of course a 5 minute hike across the deserted campground in the dead of night) :) And if you were lucky the mosquitoes didn't polka dot every part of your anatomy whilst you were in the restroom...

So where do you live that you went to Turner Falls? I grew up in Bethany (outside OKC). We never did the falls trip (or the trip and falls), mainly because I refuse to put my feet in anything that might possibly have creatures swimming in :P

Hope your sore parts are doing better and that you have a nice fluffy feather pillow (or one of those nifty pillows with the microbeads :)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Awww!
That's a real pain in the butt!
~sorry, couldn't resist, even though you've heard it about 374 times by now~
Seriously, I sympathize.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Thank you for the sympathy. And the bad humor.

Nessili, I live in Norman. It's about an hour away from the falls. Are you still in Oklahoma?

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope. I escaped after high school (Putnam City West, Class of '93) and went to college in VA. Came back in '97, took a few teaching classes down at OU to try to get my teaching certificate, did lots of subbing. Dad had just graduated from OU med school and was doing his residency. Then I got a job back here in VA, got married and settled down.

Funny thing is, I couldn't wait to leave when I lived there, but now that I'm gone, I rather miss it :) (especially a nice big prairie storm, hopefully moving away from me :P)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

AW, my poor friend and her butt breakage. You know I feel for you, dear...but it was just so dang funny the way you said, "And there were these rocks with algae on them?" like it was a surprise.

You know I only tease because I love.

And Ali has gotten your revenge for you several nights running, so not appreciating the whole hexing thing.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Love you too, Melissa. And I keep telling you, put a shot of whisky in the kid's evening bottle. Should put her right out.

*dodging stones* JOKE! JOKE!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

nessili, I want to move. To Alaska. Prairie storms are nice but not prairie heat. I'm totally over the sun.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww! Great pictures. Love the hat. :)

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! Sorry about the, uh, backside though.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but aren't mosquitoes the state bird of Alaska?

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home