Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Quick-Step, Courtesy, and Cute Guy Tuesday

So I rented this movie the other night...



and drooled all over myself. That's Antonio Banderas up there, ballroom dancing- beautifully, I might add- in full tie and tails. It's in the first few scenes of the movie and honest to goodness, I almost fainted. My adolescent crushes on actors gene was in full flower.

But what got me about the hero, Pierre Dulaine (based on a real person,) was his rather Old World courtesy. He stands when a lady walks by. He opens doors for them. The story goes like this: ballroom champion and instructor Dulaine teaches ballroom to disadvantaged inner city kids stuck in detention. Redemption by rhumba, someone called it, but I liked the movie. Back to the exquisite manners. He does the standing-door-opening thing for a number of women in the school office. A teen boy sitting next to him cannot even understand the concept, but the women are practically swooning.

Just an aside- I don't know that they would have fainting spells if an old short guy with a big nose and hair coming out his ears had shown them such courtesy. I mean, it IS Antonio, after all.



But it made me think. What is courtesy but consideration and respect? It isn't supposing that I am a poor weak little woman who can't open my own doors. I do. Frequently. But when my husband opens my door, keeps his hand on the small of my back when we're going through a crowd, and makes sure he walks on the side nearest the street so any cars splash him, I don't feel oppressed. I feel special. For all that I love Alpha heroes that grab and growl, I have to admit manners make me swoon, too.

Oh, today's Halloween. That means I have to show somebody wearing a mask, right? Okay. Here you go.



Have fun!

8 Comments:

Blogger Missie said...

Thank you for the present of Antonio. He so pretty. He can come hold my door open any time...

Oh, wait. That didn't sound very nice, did it? I meant, he could actually come open doors for me. Just wanted to clear that up.

Happy Candy Day, Everyone. Try not to raid all your kids treats and then act all innocent when they ask where the good candy went. Or at least if you do, don't be real obvious about it.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Hey. After what I spent on those costumes (just accessories, y'all!) I DESERVE the good candy!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Stacia said...

I always forget how truly gorgeous Antonio really is, what with all the "being married to that cheesy bag of bones and silicone Melanie Griffith" thing. I went off him after that (he lost every bit of "turned Madonna down flat" cred too), but man...I still swoon when I watch Desperado (which if you haven't seen it, oh, go see it now. Antonio at the height of his powers.)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Never could figure out why courtesy, caring and respect got translated into chauvenistic opression.

4:56 AM  
Blogger s.w. vaughn said...

I totally agree, Robyn. There's nothing "weak" about being shown some respect. :-)

Good luck with NaNo! It's such fun. Really!

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen sister! I totally agree.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, really, Bernita. Society got short-cheated by that, that's for sure. My father was particular about that sort of thing. And people wonder why I wanted an older man ...

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a total sucker for Antonio. Swoon...I liked the movie. Did you?

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home