Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

I Gave Up Johanna Lindsey Clinch Covers For This?

My family and I went to our favorite place the other night. The place the kids always beg to go to, where we spend many happy hours:

Barnes and Noble. Books and Starbucks. What more do you need?

My kids run for the fantasy section, while hubby scours the bargain shelves. Me?

You don't really need to ask, do you?

My darling husband of almost 20 years (August 8) took great pleasure in showing me the cover of a romance he found on the bargain shelf. He howled over it. This one.





It's not that bad, but I had the feeling I'd seen this guy before.




I had.





Here, as a matter of fact.















And here. This guy gets a lot of work, and you can understand why. Look at his range!















Le Tigre AND Blue Steel. I wonder if he can do Magnum?
Now, I loved me some Fabio. He always took the work and the fans seriously, but not himself. And John DeSalvo, well...even if he had the exact same expression every time, at least he had some action shots.
But they were de-throned for THIS GUY?? It's like art departments everywhere decided to do the romance cover novel version of superhero costume generators.
You start with shirtless semi-hottie. Then, customize!
1. Add your choice of background- urban, jungle, or forest.
2. Add weapons to fit your hero.
3. Choose drippy font and random laser beams.
Presto! You've got your cover!
In a way, it makes me nostalgic for the headless Highlanders.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait! I found a profile shot!
http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-I-Married-Sylvia-Day/dp/075821474X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-3149941-7775859?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185791500&sr=8-2

He's so versatile. :)

3:33 AM  
Blogger StarvingWriteNow said...

It seems to me that the art departments are going for a more sensitive type lately. I mean, he's got a good body, he's cute and everything, but... he also has those sensitive lips, those haunted eyes that speak of pain beyond imagining in his shadowed past...

Hmm... maybe I should start writing blurbs for a living.

(PS: I read The Stranger I Married just recently. It was a pretty good book.)

4:23 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

He's on Kinley MacGregor's Sword of Darkness, too- though I actually like that cover.

Maybe the 'sensitive' thing is what's getting to me. It's MY fantasy, darn it! I want a guy who at least looks as if he could manhandle me a little bit.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Stacia said...

Hee heee, heeee...for some reason I am totally giggling over this post. I can't stop it. Help!

I think it's the sort of "Yes, this is totally normal, what I'm doing here," look on his face.

7:51 AM  
Blogger StarvingWriteNow said...

BTW, Robyn, what are the "Headless Highlanders"?

9:43 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

You can check out Karen Marie Moning's books for the best examples, but for about six years every new cover featuring a 'highlander' in the title had a very muscular man's torso, but no head. I kind of liked them.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

HA! December, I think he's saying, "Yes, I'm standing hip deep in a swamp, but you think its hot, don't you?"

11:55 PM  
Blogger Babe King said...

ROFL- you're killing me here!

12:47 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Hmm.
I thought he looked ...just...bored.
As in "here we go again.My feet are prunes."

4:58 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Hi Babe!

Bernita, with that look, he should be staring into the middle distance, shouldn't he?

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home