Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

O, Christmas Tree, O, Christmas Tree

For any who are unsure, this is a CHRISTMAS tree.



Not a holiday tree, not a winter celebration tree, but a CHRISTMAS tree.

It doesn't even have to be a spectacular one.



Yep. Still a CHRISTMAS tree.

Y'know, I think Jay Leno said it best on the tonight show last night. Concerning certain municipalities' decision to have a 'holiday' tree instead of a 'Christmas' tree:

"Halloween is still Halloween. So I guess Satan and witches are okay, but Santa and Jesus are out!"

I'm all for being inclusive, but have we lost our minds? Imagine my frustration when my kids were not allowed to have a Christmas party at school, just a winter party, where no Christian symbolism was permitted...and where they made little paper dreidels and colored kinaras.

Just once, I would like to walk through a taxpayer-funded public park this holiday season and see a creche, complete with shivering shepherds and some little girl's curly-haired baby doll in the manger. Next to that, I'd like to see a menorah, candles aglow. As I walked on, I'd see a Kwanzaa display, with the harvest symbols lying on the Mkeka mat. And for the people that do not belong to a particular religion, perhaps an encouragement to our humanity; reminders to give generously to our neighbors in need this winter.

And yes, I would surely see Santa Claus.

When did we all get so afraid of each other? And so easily offended? Why is the above scenario so impossible?

Well, I will simply say this:

To those of you who do not have a particular holiday celebration, stay warm and well fed; call us should you need anything.

For those celebrating Kwanzaa, may the flag of black, red, and green fly proud.

To my Jewish friends, Happy Chanukkah. May the Lord always provide.

For any other faiths who have celebrations this time of year that I don't know about, Happy Holidays, and feel free to educate me about them!

And for my fellow Christians, I'll quote from my favorite Christmas Tree story, which quotes from a beloved Book:

"Fear not, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord."



Have a most blessed, Merry Christmas.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN! I don't understand the stupidity of people. It's bad enough that we're stuck with Christmas carols the day after Halloween, but now they're taking away our Christmas trees. I'm to the point now where I want to tell all these so-called "PC" people to bite me.

Christmas is the most important holiday of the year for Christians. The whole point behind the holiday is to celebrate the fact that Christ was born. If people choose to forget that, that's their problem. Don't force it down everyone else's throat just because you're selfish.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to vent, but the sheer stupidity of people boggles the mind. Don't be so PC that you forget that not a lot of people care. PC is only for narrow-minded people who don't know how to deal with the rest of humanity.

There, my 2 cents or 20 dollars, depending on who you are. LOL! :) Have a happy holiday & MERRY CHRISTMAS! :-P

5:48 PM  
Blogger Jo*Marie said...

I know..would it be so much work for everyone to simply be who they are and let others be whom they are?! If you have a problem with Christmas, don't celebrate it. That is why we have a free country, you can do as you wish. It really makes me angry when their stand is freedom and such and they are stealing bits of our freedom away. Even some who aren't Christians still like the Christian aspects of the holiday. After all, what would Christmas be without the carols, and nativity scenes? Or Santa's in the store handing out Candy Canes? ::shrugs: I think that we should buy mass quantities of ducttape and give everyone who opposes a nice HOLIDAY greeting. With green ducttape, over their lips to read "Merry Christmas."

It would be festive!

Why are you all looking at me like that?! hah

Alright, I'm off.

Merry Christmas.

Jo

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Robyn! :)

As a teacher, I have to deal with a lot of the PC stuff more than most. It's crazy, that's what. I'd almost rather teach in a Christian/Catholic school where I'd have the freedom to celebrate Christmas. Ah well.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Missie said...

Just because of all the hoopla I have seen on tv regarding some stores saying Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings instead of Merry Christmas, I have been sure to wish every cashier I come in contact with a big fat ole, "You have a Merry Christmas, now, Mkay?" accompanied by a huge smile. Hopefully it will brighten their day, but if not and they are pc, I hope it ticks them off. ;) Cuz I am mean like dat.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Anna Carrasco Bowling said...

::taking down creative suggestions:: You get an amen from this corner. I especially like the Leno quote -- bet that got an audience reaction. Halloween is okay but Christmas isn't? Feh. It maketh no sense. I am going to go bake Christmas cookies to set out next to my Christmas tree, and write Christmas cards. It's my holiday and I'm a-gonna keep it, as others are free to keep theirs. If they include nummy cookies, please feel free to share!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

I dunno, Robyn. Looks like one whopping big Hannukah Bush* to me. Note six-pointed star at the top.

Merry Christmas!

*No relation to Dubya.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Hannukah Bushes...I love it!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Not nice of me, I know...but I have the urge at times to Tan and Embalm anyone who yaps against Christmas trees.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Larissa Ione said...

Amen. I'm also tired of this country becoming a land where the minority have more rights than the majority.

I don't consider myself a Christian, but I am very spiritual, I believe in God, and I celebrate Christmas, not a Winter Holiday.

So there. *g*

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home