Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Goodbye, Anna Nicole

As I am sure many of you have already heard, Anna Nicole Smith passed away today. She was 39 years old.

Even though she was far from my favorite celebrity, this news makes me sad. Not so much for her, or her lawyer/boyfriend/baby daddy, but for her five month old daughter, Danilynn. This baby girl will grow up without her mother to love her, which is heartbreaking, even if her mother was a train wreck. The only way she will ever know Anna is by the plethora of video, pictures, and gossip rags that made millions off of her.

I started thinking of when we all first heard of Anna Nicole, back in the late 80's, when she was a model for Guess. She was so pretty, and curvy, and conveyed just the right amount of innocence and Marilyn Monroe sex appeal. She looked like a real woman, instead of a wafer thin shell of humanity like so many models out there. She had so much potential and promise.

Please understand I am not trying to kick a dead person. But I can't help but feel her life was a waste. I am not going to judge whether or not she loved her 147 year old kajillionaire husband when she married him at age 26. Maybe she did. Or maybe she just wanted his money. But as a mom, I can't help thinking about the young son she had at that time. After her husband died, why didn't she just settle with his estate, take a few million, and call it good? Retire somewhere to raise her boy in peace and safety, away from the limelight, and try to give him a normal life? Instead, she chose to fight for a decade or more for half the estate that was listed in her husband's will.

Her life seemed to take a downward spiral, until it finally was there for all of us to see in her horrible reality show. If she had maintained any modicum of respectability or decency up to that point, then she certainly obliterated it on tv in front of millions. (I only saw about 5 minutes of it the entire time it was on.) Her antics, drug abuse, and general stupidity kept her name and face in the spotlight, while she cried for privacy and understanding.

She was a poor, misguided soul who thought that fame and money would bring her happiness. Now she's gone and has left behind a baby girl who will grow up in her shadow. And that, my friends, is so very very sad.

I can only hope that in her final minutes, she made peace with her Maker and has finally found whatever it was she was looking for here on Earth.

Goodbye, Anna. We will pray for your baby.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacia said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was really, genuinely saddened by this. Cruel jokes already abound on the internet and I just think it's going to be hard enough for that little girl without seeing thing like how people edited her mother's Wikipediea entry to say "The bitch bit the dust" (now removed, but Gawker did a screenshot).

I actually don't think J. Howard Marshall's family wanted to give her anything at all, and that's where the fight came in. I also find her death and the death of her son very suspicious.

And...I think she really loved the old guy. She'd known him for years. I think he was actually a father figure to her, and I think he made her an offer she coulbd't refuse regarding marriage and that's why she fought so hard for that money. Honestly, the woman was a terrible actress. She couldn't have faked those tears for him, I don't think.

Anyway, sad.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

She really was Marilyn Monroe. Just as needy, just as sad.

And like you, DQ, I immediately turned conspiracy theorist. Her son dies, then she dies, and what happens to the baby now since there were paternity disputes? We do need to pray for that baby.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

Frankly, I'm appalled by the hoopla. I know I'm old enough to know this is what they do, but the whole media coverage of this is just.....sad.
I'm with you Robyn. We need to pray for that baby. There's nothing but negative stuff flying around that poor kid.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Her death does seem to be a little too convenient.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Girl con Queso said...

Bless her heart. Bless her baby.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home