Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Friday, February 24, 2006

I Can See Up Your Nose If It's In The Air

Bernita's post made me think today- is there an unbreakable rule that says e-zine stories don't count?

After all, it was only a few years ago that e-books were considered the red headed stepchild of publishing; a short hop away from a vanity press. Now look at them. More and authors are submitting, more and more agents and editors are taking e-book credits seriously, and Ellora's Cave started an entire, though hotly debated, romance genre. Like erotica or not, you can't deny their success. E-publishers themselves are more demanding, with better editing and better results.

Why should e-zines be any different? There's not a big readership, true; but it isn't as if print mediums don't suffer from that as well. I myself had a story under consideration with Arabella, and had to find out on a Harlequin message board that they'd gone belly up.

Part of me says to think of your career. Don't waste time on things that won't advance it, and no editor or agent will take you seriously if all your credits are from e-zines. But is that necessarily so? Are e-zines on the cusp of breaking through to respectability? Someone with more industry know-how than I will have to answer that one.

The other part of me says who cares? Just write. Articles and novellas work well for me and my writing style. I just don't do well with large word counts, and I'm sparing with details. I get impatient or worse, bored, with endless description. Just tell me the house is filled with trinkets; I don't need to know where every single doily is placed. Writing shorts is very fun and challenging for me. If I want to really flesh out a character, I'll do a series.

What about you? Do you consider e-zines less than worthy? Print may be the end all for snobs, but I've read enough print books and articles that made a satisfying thunk when hitting the wall to know that paper is no guarantee of greatness.

11 Comments:

Blogger Bernita said...

As with anything else, it seems to depend on the zine and on the e-press.
One clue to the viability is the number of regular print houses who are dipping their corporate toes in that pool.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually have never read an e-zine. Got any recommendations?

3:04 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

Michelle,
That was my question, too. I have no idea where to begin to look for a good e-zine.

Robyn, help us! I agree with your post totally. I know I could do a short story or a novella, but a full length book intimidates me. I would love to know where I could submit a short story. Maybe that would give me incentive to finish one.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Look up WildChild publishing, Missie, for one.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In SF, there are so few print zines, ezines have to count. Some are considered pro, such as the late SciFiction. I believe Strange Horizons (another ezine) is considered pro, too.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

It's that way for romance, too, Doug. Romantic Tales is the only one I really know about, but there are others.

A good e-zine comes coutesy of our very own Camy- a mag for teen girls called RubyZine.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Anna Carrasco Bowling said...

Ah, another Arabella orphan. Testify! I found out on a message board, too, and that was a blow.

A Hint of Seduction was a wonderful subscription based e-zine, which I enjoyed writing for, both fiction and author interviews, but family issues and other things for the owner have put it on hiatus.

I am on staff at Italics Online (www.purplepens.com) but they don't publish fiction. I don't know of any romance e-zines at present, more's the pity.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Camy Tang said...

Thanks for the plug, Robyn. I'll slip you the chocolate later.

I'm also an Arabella orphan. I even got The Call from the editor to tell me my story was accepted. Then I found out on the Arabella discussion boards that they had lost funding.

I definitely think ezines are worth it for short stories. Web presence is becoming a hot commodity for writers, period. Too bad Romancing the Christian Heart folded, too.

I think I heard about a blog for romance short stories. If anybody's interested, email me via my Blogger profile.

Camy

1:23 AM  
Blogger Anna Carrasco Bowling said...

Wait...there was an ezine for Christian romance stories and it went down before I even had a chance to see it? Wah. Not a good thing to hit a gal with before caffiene.

I've had this discussion many a time with another writing friend who has very good success selling her SF/F short stories, often with romantic elements. Lots and lots of markets for SF/F shorts, markets for mystery shorts, but romance shorts, not so much.

Camy, maybe we should form an Orphans of Arabella support group.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I'm in!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Shannon Nelson said...

I read ezines...and am currently writing an ebook, I don't think of myself any less.

There are actually some pretty good ezines out there that look just like a real magazine too.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home