Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Interview with a Sassy Sistah

It has been a pleasure to work with Marilynn Griffith, author of the new book, Made of Honor. She's a hoot, and her book is wonderful. Here's our interview with La Belle Mary.

(From Shades of Romance:)

SR: Please give the readers a brief bio on you the person and the writer.

Mary: Well, let's see... I'm mom to a tribe of kids, wife to a very handsome deacon and blessed to be friends with some wonderful writers, like you, LaShaunda. I love to read, write, speak and all things communication related. I'm the person at the family gatherings who is always either telling a story or listening to one! Before realizing I was a writer life was a bit confusing. I tried everything from secretary to math tutor (that actually worked out pretty well). These days it's family, friends and church activities when I'm not writing. I like blogging though. That's fun.

SR: Tell us about your current book?

Mary: Dana Rose pledges to say "I won't" the next time she's asked to be in a wedding. Her weak will has turned her closet into cemetery for satin gowns from periwinkle to Pepto pink. After ten stints as bridesmaid, Dana thinks she's seen it all. Then she's fired, forced to turn her hobby into a business and faced with her prodigal brother, back-stabbing sis and Mr. Practically Perfect, the ex who not only married someone else, but opened the business of her dreams—across the street. There's that Maid of Honor thing too… And this time she can't say no. Will wedding #11 show Dana what's she's really made of?

SR: What inspired this story?

Mary:I used to own a seasonal bath and body business. Steeple Hill rejected my first manuscript but they liked my voice. They asked my agent about me doing a chick lit. I didn't know what that was exactly, but the prospect of writing in first person sounded interesting, so I tried it and loved it. I also have had a lot of wonderful single friends over the years.

SR: What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

Mary: I'd love for readers of MADE OF HONOR to come away from the book knowing that they are fearfully and wonderfully made and that God delights in them and loves them in an intimate way, despite whatever mess riddles their pasts. Christ stands waiting to embrace them as His bride.

SR: How can readers learn more about your books and get in contact with you?

Mary:I can be contacted at http://www.blogger.com/ym/Compose?To=marilynngriffith@gmail.com or through comments at my website http://www.marilynngriffith.com/.

And from us...
SC: What's the most rewarding thing about writing faith-based fiction?

Mary: The great thing about writing faith fiction is blending my two loves--books and Jesus--together. Sometimes I'll read a book full of beautiful words that leaves me feeling empty and hopeless. More than anything, I seek to write a good story that shows both the depths of the human experience and the heights of love, hope and redemption.

SC: Chick lit has always seemed to have a "Sex in the City" vibe. Were there any challenges in doing a Christian chick lit?

Mary: I really didn't try to focus on any chick lit model. I know there are many stories with the single city girl in publishing, but that's not all there is. As in any genre, each writer brings a unique voice and way of seeing the world. For me, I fell in love with a character and her girlfriends and went along for the ride.

SC: I can write in first person on a blog, but cannot master that anywhere else. Was it difficult to find that voice, or did it come naturally to you?

Mary: What a great question! One of the reasons I attempted this story was the opportunity to stretch as a writer and try the first person point of view. I wasn't blogging then and had never tried it except in my personal journals, so I wasn't sure if I "had" it or not. Once I got going, the style seemed natural and comfortable, but it's still difficult. After two books in that point of view, it feels more natural and I do enjoy it.

Thanks, Mary!

And now, the winners of our contest, who will receive an autographed copy of Made of Honor. *insert fanfare here*

Every single entry made us laugh. You all did a fabulous job. There were a few who stood out, though, and here they are.

The Most Prolific Author Award goes to ozzatlarge. Terry came up with a whopping fifteen entries! And they were all funny. For example: The Clepto and the Dog Trainer... He stole her heart and she jerked his chain.

The Pushing the PG-13 Envelope Award goes to Sharon. The Eunuch and the Virgin. Impossible love, impossible odds. Will their love find a way in?

The Most Likely To Become An Actual Title goes to Anna. With titles like The Amnesiac SEAL and the secret Billionaire Princess, Hide and Sheikh, and Sheikh, Rattle and Roll (hmm, must be a baby book, with the "rattle" bit there) I have no doubt Anna will have a Harlequin Presents out soon.

Our honorable mentions will have a chance to be a guest snarker on our romance cover rips! Congratulations!

We loved Camy's Jump-Start My Heart... He was a doctor. She was dead. Their love was doomed.

And Jessica's The Arsenist and the Atheist... All he wanted was to see her burn.

But our two winners are Bernita with Horseman and the Hostess...He was "hot to trot" but she wanted a stable relationship.

And Jolene with The Wicked Witch & the Veterinarian...She wanted him, and his little dog too.

UPDATE!!! Because Bernita was kind enough to let someone else have her prize, the autographed book goes to...Jessica! Congrats, and bug Missie for your copy!


Way to go, everybody! Winners of guest-snark, please email me at robwriter6@sbcglobal.net and I'll schedule you in for more horrible covers.

And book winners, email me at the same addy with your snail mail addresses, and your books will be on their way. Great work!

9 Comments:

Blogger Anna Carrasco Bowling said...

Wow, what a great start to the day! Glad you enjoyed the titles. I don't have any Harlequin Presents, but I do have a historical romance out in January. 100% Sheikh-free, gauranteed.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Robyn,
Not sure what I won here.
And if it's the book, not sure I deserve it, since it was Cami's posts that got me going.
As much as I would love to receive and read the book - which sounds totally delicious - it would be more fair to direct my copy, if I got that right, to Cami.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I believe that Camy has a copy of her own, since she is one of Mary's unofficial press agents; she's the one who got us into this in the first place. If you would like to donate the book elsewhere, we can certainly do that for you. No worries, my friend.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Do it, love.
There are more deserving.
Save cross-border postal problems as well.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to the winners! :)

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These were fabulous and such fun to read! Love it. Congrats to the winners!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! You ladies are so smart and so funny! Those titles and blurbs were a hoot. Thanks for letting me be part of it.

Marilynn Griffith

8:33 PM  
Blogger Camy Tang said...

ROFL!!! People's titles were terrific. I am always laughing when I stop at this blog. Not a good thing when I'm sick, but hey, I'm having fuuuuuun.

Yes, you can give my copy away. I have one for me and another one to give away on my website contest next month. Everybody stop by my website in a week to sign up for the drawing!

Camy

8:39 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Feel better, Camy!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home