Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Me Luuuurve Neanderthals

Sharon's post over at Writeminded got me thinking about heroes. Particularly alpha heroes.

Apparently, I loves me some cavemen.

There was an old Stephanie James (Jayne Ann Krentz) book where the hero was a dangerous agent code named Wolf.

Aside: Of course he was code named Wolf. Has any agent been code named Titmouse?

Anyway, he went through a crisis of conscience, and had turned away from the job, become a vegetarian, etc. etc. But it worked for me, because when push came to shove he was still a dangerous agent. He still went out and got the bad guy.

Have you read books where the hero was initially portrayed as the second coming of Odysseus, ruthless and dangerous and almost predatory? Think Sean Connery in James Bond. You got the feeling he hated the witty repartee; he'd rather just kill the guy.

I love those heroes. Don't know why, and ain't gonna examine it.

But by the end of the book, these mad, bad, dangerous men have become Gandhi. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but we've seen no reason for the change. They're in luuuurve, maybe with a kid on the way, so suddenly they...just can't do it. They can't take revenge. They can't shoot that gun. They can't throw that punch. Repartee and a call to the sheriff will have to do.

Arrrrgggghhhh. Authors, for goodness sake, this is fantasy. MY fantasy. Any real man that scary digs me and I'd be getting restraining orders. But this is escapist fun, so I beg you- don't emasculate my alphas!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy, do I agree with you on this one! I like my heroes to be dark throughout the whole book. Obviously the heroine is supposed to bring out a bit of a tender side, but I still want him to kick butt when he has too. Good post! :)

4:59 PM  
Blogger Camy Tang said...

I totally agree with you. Pansies. They don't deserve to get the girl.

Of course, I also like the heroines who have the kahones to grab the gun and shoot the bad guy herself.

Camy

6:12 PM  
Blogger quirkychild said...

Yup. Same here.

The only time a big 'ol tough guy can't pull the trigger should only be because he's aiming at the heroine.

Because she melted through that tough exterior and got him right
in his warm fuzzy heart.

But to anyone else he's still grouchier than a bear in hibernation. Or else he wouldn't be a tough guy, now would he?

Awwwww...who doesn't love them alpha males?

6:44 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Snort.
Suspect it's the "improving complex", if they want a nice beta companion they should get a dog.A fixed dog.
Sheesh. As if there's something WRONG with blowing away bad guys and assorted creeps.La, la land.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

See? I'm not alone!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's rather wimpy of the heros to suddenly turn all "I can't do that, it's against my conscience."

I'm glad to see other folks feel the same way, because off-line, I know plenty of people who would say "but he's married now! He can't kill people!"

10:24 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Now you have me wondering if I did that in my unpub'd novel . . .

Let's see. My main character gets tougher, but my rogue -- oy, he has to sit out the fighting, and he doesn't get to kick any ass.

Now I have to go ask my readers if this bugged them!

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more!
Have you ever read One Dark Night by Jaid Black... don't know if I could handle him in real life - would love to try by the way! - but loved him in the book.

Tara
Tara@luvlibrary.com
www.luvlibrary.com

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home