Snarkling Clean

Snarkling Clean- because you don't have to cuss to make fun of stuff. Two dedicated readers discuss romance novels- from what made us weep with joy to what made us want to poke pencils through our eyeballs.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Oh My God I'm Going To Do It

A finished manuscript that still needs tweaking.

75 polished pages.

A synopsis that was harder to write than the whole %^&*$ book.

Ready to be sent electronically to an actual editor.

I'm dying.

This is what it's all about, right? For a writer to see her words in print, for others to enjoy, and if I may be permitted, to hopefully make some money off the deal. And I'm being a total wuss. I sure hope the first one is the hardest; if it isn't I may as well start chucking towels right now. And I'm not even thinking about what he'll say; whether or not he'll like it or think it's right for his publishing house- I'm still working up the courage to push the SEND button.

For other first timers, what was it like for you? Did you celebrate all the way to the mailbox, or did you fret and dither? And, most importantly, did it get easier? PleasepleasepleaseGodaboveplease tell me it gets easier. What are your 'first submission' stories?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was too stupid to be scared on my first submission. Form rejection! :) Now when I hit the Send button to the editor I'm working with now, I had to close my eyes to make myself do it!

Good luck!! Who are you submitting to?

3:25 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

Robyn,

You are so talented and funny and witty and lovable, and your stories are so wonderful and compelling and heartwarming, the editorpeopledudes will just be thankful that you deigned to submit your story to them and not some other publishing house. Can't wait to see your name in lights...er, print.

8:38 PM  
Blogger quirkychild said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you! I'm afraid I don't have any advice, seeing as I have yet to finish the first manuscript to send for my first submission, but I'm basically here to be the cheering section!

Two, four, six, eight, who do we appreciate? Robyn!! YEAH!

(I'm stuck halfway in the aforementioned manuscript...does it get easier the second way through? And the edting process? But I'm not holding out much hope...)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Good luck, Quirky! For me, finishing was tougher than revising, which technically I'm still doing. Are we ever really done with a book? It's like waiting for your mom to finish grooming you on the first day of school. "Okay, let's get that hair out of your eyes. Tuck in your shirt. And c'mere (licking thumb) you've got a schmutz..."

Michelle, it's with Bethany House. AHHHH! Now I'm getting nervous again.

5:53 AM  
Blogger quirkychild said...

Aw thanks Robyn. It gives me a glimmer of hope through the thick forest of plot snarls in front of me!

And no matter what happens to your first submission, (even though they'd be fools not to take it,) your writing is consistently good and I would kill to be able to think up witticisms like you can, I'm positive it's only a matter of time before I see your name on a cover, or several.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

So, you don't want to hear about my first e-mail submission that after being checked 24 times, had a typo in the first line?

I think it will get easier, Robyn.
One can get used to anything.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home